From:
Susan Lasley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Jul 1996 02:37:50 -0400

Folks, the stuff they put in "enriched white rice" is the reason to scream to
high heaven for decent legislation to require disclosure of ingredients in
food or used to process foods (that adhere to the food sold) in the United
States...

And I thought that I was just eating white rice which had water-soluble
vitamins (dissolved in water...)  sprayed on them.

<<<After drying talc and ferric pyrophosphate are added to keep grains from
sticking together and then more protective coating is applied.>>>>

Drying talc?  I hope that this isn't related to the stuff that some people
use under their arms after their baths...;-)  Some people are allergic to
that stuff...  And how are people who are already mystified about what's in
tomato paste or ketchup supposed to figure out what abietic acid is?

<<<If the consumer wants to know what is in "white rice", etc., she is then
expected to go to CFR21, Standards of Identity and read what is allowed.  Not
all foods qualify for the Standards of Identity.>>>

How does one find CFR21?  Is this Standards of Identity document available in
public libraries, like the PDR (Physicians Desk Reference)?  Pretty soon,
we'll all need food chemists (and toxicologists) to go with us to the grocery
store...

Sorry about the online anger.  It's just that I'm running out of things to

Susan  (North Carolina, USA)