From:
Dawn Dutton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dawn Dutton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Dec 2002 13:54:16 -0500

I wrote Anheuser-Busch asking about Ultra - if it was gluten-free.  I am
interpreting the following to mean that Michelob Ultra is NOT GF.

Dawn @ the Jersey Shore

____________From Anheuser-Busch_________________

Thank you for taking the time to visit our website and e-mail
Anheuser-Busch.

Glutens (gliadin, hordein, and gluten) are protein substances that are found
in
some cereal grains
(i.e., wheat, rye, barley and oats.)  These glutens are "degraded" in the
malting and brewing
process into compounds called amino acids.  We have been unable to detect
the
undegraded
gluten compound in our beers.  However, recent investigations have suggested
that the gluten
degradation products may aggravate the condition in some celiac patients.

We are aware of two recent articles taken from medical journals that advise
on
the suitability of
beer for the coeliac patient.  One article, by H. Julia Ellis, et. al.,
advises
against beer
consumption.  The other publication, by A. Cambell, suggests that some
patients
may tolerate
beer consumption.  As you can see, further research is warranted.

If you would like additional information concerning glutens, you may want to
contact the
association below.

Celiac Sprue Association
153 Hillcrest
Barrington, IL 60010
708-381-6106

We hope we have provided you with some information that may be helpful to
you in
discussions
with your physician.  It would not be appropriate for us to offer medical
advice
on your diet.

Again Dawn, thank you for contacting Anheuser-Busch.  Please let us know if
you
have any
questions or comments.

Your Friends at Anheuser-Busch