From:
Audri Humphrey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Mar 1999 12:13:39 EST

FOOD MANUFACTURERS PHONE CALL FORM REGARDING GF STATUS
Hi my name is __________.  I (or my child, husband) have Celiac disease.  I am
calling about the gluten free (GF) status of (product "X" or ingredient "X")
so I know if it is safe for me to eat.  Can you help me or may I please speak
with a food technologist or someone who is familiar with the ingredients on
the label.

May I please ask who I am speaking with and your phone # for reference?  Thank
you very much.  Are you familiar with Celiac disease or can I provide you with
information?  * (Insert attached definition of Celiac disease if necessary.)
Does your company have a gluten free list that you can send me?

One of our primary concerns is cross contamination.  Although (product name)
may be GF, if it comes in contact at any time during production with a gluten
based product containing wheat, rye, oats or barley it can make me sick.  Is
cross contamination a possibility for (product name)?  ** (Insert attached
questions about cross contamination.)

We are trying to build awareness of Celiac disease and the incidence among
food companies.  I would like to let you know that a recent study by Dr.
Fassano (Pediatric Gastroenterology, Baltimore, MD) suggests that the
incidence of Celiac in the US is 1:250-300.  Our hopes are that:
1) This information will help make more products available to people with
Celiac.
2) There will be more great tasting and convenient food choices available to
people with Celiac disease in the near future.
3) In the near future we can walk down the aisles of our local grocery stores
and find products with gluten free labels or stamps right on the package.

Any time we can add even one more product to our GF list we greatly appreciate
it.  We realize this is difficult for a larger food company due to the
possibility of involvement of co-packers and that a product may differ by
region.  However, if there are ANY products your company makes that are GF or
can easily be made GF we would like to work with you to get this information
to the Celiac community.  One way we can do this is to provide this
information to over 3000 people worldwide who are part of a support group
connected by the inernet.  We can also provide this information to our local
support groups.

We greatly appreciate any information you can give us on the gluten free
status of your product(s).  If there is anything else I can do to help
expedite this please let me know.  Thank you for your time.

(Note:  Have your product in hand to refer to UPC; be specific about
ingredients you are questioning; write out detailed questions beforehand)

* DEFINITION OF CELIAC DISEASE (* ATTACHMENT)
Celiac is an auto immune disease which causes the body to destroy the villi in
the intestine when gluten from wheat, rye, oats or barley is consumed.  Celiac
results in the malabsorption of nutrients.  Celiac is diagnosed by an initial
blood test followed up by biopsy.  Ingestion of gluten by a person who has
Celiac can cause stomach aches, severe bloating, weight loss, weight gain, and
can ultimately lead to cancer.  The initial reaction to ingesting gluten
ranges from no reaction to dizziness, diarrhea, constipation, severe stomach
pain, fever and/or throwing up.

People with Celiac can safely eat corn, potato and rice products as well as
fresh fruits, vegetables and meats.

Some hidden ingredients that may contain gluten are: modified food starch,
caramel color, annato, distilled vinegar, hydrolyzed vegetable protein,
artificial flavors, malt, maltodextrin, soy sauce, MSG, colors and dyes.

Celiac disease is not contagious and although it resembles a food allergy it
is a life long condition.

** SPECIFIC QUESTIONS ABOUT CROSS CONTAMINATION (**ATTACHMENT)
1) Do you attempt segregation between your products containing gluten and
those without?
2) Do you have dedicated equipment lines for your gluten free products?
3) (If the lines are not dedicated) How do you clean the lines in between
product runs and how frequently are they cleaned?
4) What are the chances of product residue remaining on the lines?
5) Could any gluten particles exist in the air in your plants?  (This may be
very different for a cereal product vs. an ice cream product vs. a potato
product.)
6) Do you use rework?  In what ways?
(Note: This form is meant to be a guideline that can be modified to your
particular calling situation and may vary by size and nature of the many food
companies that exist.  As we continue to be enlightened by new information I
will be happy to evolve this form.  I would greatly appreciate any comments
you have on this form.)