From:
Gary Kiefer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 May 1997 12:25:55 -0700

Dear David,

> I'm wondering if Dr. Kiefer would be kind enough to elaborate on his post
> above and talk about how one goes about bringing the intestines into good
> health.  I've just begun the gluten-free diet due to DH and consider it
> likely that my intestines are in need of some help after 24 years of
> wheat, wheat and more wheat.
>
> david
> Holland, MI

health, please allow me to remind you that I first to diagnostic lab
testing on the individual patient.  Treatment will vary according to the
pathology of the intestine, and the individual patient.  As a
Naturopathic Physician, I am treating the patient, not the disease.  I
believe there is much more to treating a patient with celiac disease
than simply avoiding gluten/gliadin.  Certainly junk food, allergenic
foods, highly refined foods, chocolate, preservitives, alcohol, over the
counter "medicine", has no place in the patient with intestinal
problems.  Certainly the misuse of antibiotic therapy seems to be a
significant threat to the health of the intestines.  Specific treatment
requires prior testing, and I use the best labs available.  Of course
traditional insurance plans have not caught up with the sophistication
of the treatment, and some plans do not cover the lab or the efforts of
a licensed Naturopathic Physician.  :(

The treatment of these problems in my opinion is truely an art.  In many
ways it is a "mine-field", because the pathologic bacterias, yeast, etc.
contain powerful endotoxins, which have the capacity to sicken the
patient severely.  Things must be done in a certain order, and on an
individual basis.  Please remember that this is my own opinion, based on
my experience.
I hope this has been helpful.
sincerely,
Dr. Gary Kiefer, ND