From:
Howard Sobel <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Howard Sobel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Dec 2013 07:52:07 -0500

All, Thank you for the great many answers and information  Here is a
summation of the responses I
received.  Since reading and having some confirmation from the owner/ site
manager of GlutenFreedrugs.com, I have began taking the pill and have not
felt any adverse reaction.

*From the owner/SiteManager of Glutenfreedrugs.com*
Although both companies won't guarantee that their products are GF there
are no gluten derived ingredients used to manufacture either product.
 Neither contain any starch or soy and only Greenstone's product contains
lactose
_________________

I'm on Simvastatin, which is generic for Zocor.  Your doctor may approve a
change to this, which is supposed to be more effective anyway.  Ironically,
the same doctor who put me on Zocor, put my husband on Lipitor.  Probably
depends upon which drug rep visited the office that week!

You can email the pharmacist on glutenfreedrugs.com.  He'll answer you.
 The address is on the site.
_________________

I have been taking atorvastatin for over 1 year with no adverse reaction.
I, too, was unable to find out if it contained gluten.  However, with no
ill effects, I would advise you to try for a few days and see if you can
tolerate it,
_________________

You may want to call other pharmacies and ask which manufacturers' generics
they carry. Perhaps they will have one from a different company, and you
can call the manufacturer to see if it is gluten-free.-
_________________

I take the generic for Zorcor which is Simvastatin.  Actually, I just
started taking Omega 3 Krill Oil Capsules - I have a half-sister who has
been taking them for over a year and her cholesterol went down 100 points -
the Simvastatin was beginning to make me dizzy and created muscle aches

_________________

I've been taking Pravastatin for quite awhile and it is gluten free.
Since it's generic, I don't recall what the main drug is without looking it
up.
_________________

I have used Greenstone and am currently on Apotex.  I haven't had any
problems with either of them.  Good luck!
_________________

Check out this site--

http://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailymed/ Lists ingredients by MANUFACTURERS,
even GENERICS! Use “Excipient List” atwww.glutenfreedrugs.com for terms
that can hide gluten. Check ingredients & call company to source
questionable ones.  (Better yet, train the pharmacist to do it for you--&
others!)

Companies should be able to tell if/where products are available in your
area.

I also like www.rxlist.com  It list the inert ingredients which gives you a
general of idea of what might be problematic.  Sine generics have to meet
the same standards for dissolve time and absorption rate, ingredients are
often similar to brand names.

You may also want to consult with doctor to demand and insurance company to
pay for brand or find a gf alternative.  The lack of allergen labelling for
Rx drugs shouldn't mean we have to chose between treating our celiac or
something else!

If insurance companies had to pay extra for g.f. to keep that part of us
healthy, we would have the forceful ally we need to get allergen & even GF
labeling for drugs.
Time to raise some hell!

Exposure to trace amounts of gluten taken daily has a cumulative effect
over time. It will eventually cause problems, although symptoms may not be
GI related, but rather less specific like brain fog, irritability, fatigue,
bone pain, anemia...

Other option is to find a non-Rx treatment.  No sense in letting the drug
companies makes the big bucks when you are doing all the work.

Low levels folic acid are associated with high levels of homecystein which
causes high cholesterol.  Deficiencies are not unusual for celiacs since gf
products usually aren't enriched as wheat products are.

In all the reading I've done over the year,  cholesterol seems like the
body's bandaid for damage causes by inflammation/oxidation.. Hopefully,
doctor has checked antibody levels for gluten exposure, which causes
systemic inflammation.

Reducing "empty" carbs (most processed g.f. products) and increasing Omega
3  healthy fats can also lower inflammation...l like the book The Rosedale
Diet by Dr. Ron. Rosedale, a diabetic dr in Denver area.

His explanation of how body uses nutrients/stores fat is the first one I've
seen that makes sense...It's way I've witnessed my grandchildren grow
before my eyes!  Eat and gain, stop eating, sleep more then grow a half
inch in a day!

Is there an appeal process that you can pursue with the insurance co?  We
had a similar issue and just paid for it. The dr office advised us to
appeal but it was for a short term treatment.