From:
"Stump, Marion" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Stump, Marion
Date:
Tue, 29 Aug 2006 16:37:48 -0400

Thanks to all who responded to my original post.  This is an awesome
group.  Sorry it took me so long to get this summary out.  I've included
the original post and the responses.  This is in two summaries.

Hi Everyone,

I'll be traveling to Alasaka Sept 1 thru 14th.  I'll be in Anchorage,
Homer and Denali.  Anyone know of gluten free/friendly places to eat?
Also places to buy gluten free food.  Any help with be appreciated.
I'll summarize.

Thanks so much,
Marion

eat there from time to time. They are very helpful and the food is
pretty good most times.

Also Fred Meyer's another large food store has GF items in their Natural
Food Section.

You may want to try Southside Bistro in the South end of town for
friendly service. Call ahead and mention you are a Celiac and they
should have a server ready for you that can help you.

My first stop to shop is always the Natural Pantry.  You will be amazed
at the

selection of GF goodies they have!

I have had great luck at most of the restaurants up there.  Go during
off-time armed with your GF card and you will do fine.

Glade House Bed and Breakfast

10650 Elies Drive

Anchorage, Alaska  99516

907-346-1405

Alison Smith

La Mex (Restaurant)

6th and I street

Natural Pantry (Health Food Store)

University Center

Fred Meyer (Grocery Store)

New Sagaya -13th and I Street.

The Middleway Cafe near REI in Anchorage has gluten free pastries and
will make sandwiches, etc if you call ahead.  Show up early for the best
selection, and it tends to be busy.

There is an Outback steakhouse in Anchorage, but I have never eaten
there.

The Snow Goose is a local icon with a famous deck with views of Denali
on nice days, but the last time I went there only the prime rib was safe
in terms of ingredients.  Lots of breaded foods.  If you go there, I'd
recommend the beer batter halibut to any non-gf companions. It's (or
was) the best in town.

F street station has some really nice seafood dishes.  No reaction but
you may want to bring your own bread.

The ingredients in the salmon dish at Bear Tooth Theater pub are fine,
can't say as to the preparation other than I had no reaction and it's a
decent meal, if spendy. It's popular with the locals as it is a
companion to the Moose's Tooth, which specializes in pizza (none GF
though) and beer brewing.  There is a margarita bar,there are some
interesting takes on the margarita.

Simon and Seaforts is another local icon.  Great view, it's best to come
early or make reservations as it's popular with locals and tourists - it
is busy even during the winter months.  Their fish dishes seem to be
safe in terms of ingredients; I haven't yet had a reaction.

The Snow City cafe has gluten free turkey sausage.  No reaction to an
omelet eaten there which is better than most.  A lot of breakfast places
seem to not clean their grill.

There is a decent selection at just about all the local grocery stores -
they seem to complement each other.  Fred Meyers and Safeway have
smaller selections, while the local markets New Sagaya and Natural
Pantry have larger selections.

If you like oriental, the sushi at New Sagaya is fairly decent for store
bought sushi - the wasabi is made with water, no soy sauce.  They sell
wheat free tamari here as well as many other gluten free items.
Generally considered to be one of the best places to get produce in town
as it tends to be freshest.

Right across the street from New Sagaya is the Natural Pantry.  They
have a cafe that I have never eaten at, but have the widest selection of
gluten free food in Anchorage.  Unfortunately, selection is sometimes
limited.  This seems to have improved in recent months.

Homer is the home of the Fresh Sourdough Express diner.  Great history,
though as far as I could see, no gluten free breads but they do have
gluten free chocolate.

The Homer Brewing Company sold some interesting (and expensive - but
worth it) gluten free chocolate.  I loved the bar with nutmeg. No gluten
free beers though.

I haven't been towards Denali recently, but if you are driving you will
probably want to bring your own snacks.  Restaurants tend to be few and
far between once you get past Wasilla - mostly tending towards greasy
spoons. I just remembered that there are two New Sagayas, one downtown
and one midtown.  The one I was talking about the Natural Pantry being
next to is on Old Seward Highway, it seems to have more of the GF items
than the other one which is smaller.  In terms of a small local market I
like the downtown one better - this seems to be where most of the good
produce goes and it has more character, in my opinion.