From:
Jeannie Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 28 Dec 2005 05:57:15 -0500

My 4 adult children, 2 of their spouses, my 3 grandchildren, my husband
and I are all in the process of getting tested for Celiac by Enterolab.
All of us have sufferred from varying Celiac symptoms for years -
irritable bowel, constipation, mood issues, depression, fatigue, thyroid
problems, alcaholism, pervasive developmental delay. My 29 year old
nephew was quizzing me about Celiac over Christmas. I could answer many
of his questions, but one question stumped me. Might an untreated Celiac
condition make the stuttering, which has plagued him since childhood,
worse? Even without any connection between stuttering and celiac he has
plenty of reasons to get tested, or at least to try a GF diet -
depression, violently bad moods, particularly as a kid, and chronic
constipation. But if he knew that the vocal tension that underlies his
stuttering might be helped by a GF diet, he would be all the more
interested. And yes, his Mom, (my sister) has symptoms of Celiac,
although his dad and his two brothers don't show any Celiac tendencies.
My sister has no interest in persuing the Celiac diagnosis, so I am
looking into it for her son.

Thanks in advance to anyone with experience or ideas about how
stuttering and Celiac might be connected.

Jeannie