From:
Carol Castellano <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Jul 2000 12:41:01 EDT

Only received a few responses, mostly thank you notes.  FYI - one person
wrote:

"I cannot tolerate Lactaid milk and couldn't figure out why.  (Same symptoms
as though there WERE lactose in it!)  Someone told me that when Lactaid first
came out, it had a warning on it for people who are allergic to penicillin
(as did Beano, when it first came out).  The enzymes in both are developed on
a mold similar to penicillin, apparently.  Both products stopped putting the
warning on quite some time ago.

I am allergic to penicllin, and think this person solved the mystery for me.
My son can use Lactaid with no ill effects, but he is not allergic to any
medications (yet)!)

So, if any of you out there react to Lactaid and assumed it was gluten, there
may be another reason (since it IS gluten free!)"

Carol
Mahopac, NY