From:
Melissa Mannon <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Melissa Mannon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 May 2002 07:27:42 -0400

I recently posted the following inquiry to the list:

"...I now never have properly formed stool.  My naturopath has me on enzymes
that, so far, aren't making any difference.
> We thought that perhaps I am also not getting enough fiber in my diet. She
gave me a list of fresh foods that I can eat to help with that and suggested
that I avoid fiber supplements.  How do others get the proper amount of
fiber into their diets?  Could there possibly be any other reasons for my
trouble?  It's not painful or uncomfortable.  It's just not
normal, so I know that something is wrong."

I have temporarily eliminated dairy from my diet and find that this is
helping a little bit.  The following is a summary of the  responses from the
list.  I haven't tried any of the fiber recommendations yet.  I'm going to
discuss them with my doctor first.

Thank you all for your help!  :)

Melissa Mannon
New Hampshire

- I am now taking  Psyllium husks that I got from the health food store.
Others are taking medimucial which has this ingredient psyllium husks. You
need to drink 6-8 glasses of water a day too. I have put up with iregular
stools for 17 years and find this is much better even though I did have a
high fibre diet it didn't help because the time you eat to much rice or
chesse at the same time your bowels are not right so you need this to even
things out. Works for me.

 - You need to take a fiber supplement like FiberCon everyday to make up for
the fiber you are missing. Just make sure the fiber you take is gluten free.
I know FiberCon is for sure (which is what I take), and I am sure others can
give you more brands that are also gf.  I hope this helps.

- I cannot give you any help but do not forget that normal before the diet
is not the same as normal after you are on the diet.

- I get my fiber from rice bran. I sprinkle it on soy yogurt, rice, apple
sauce and whatever I think it will take. I tried metamucil and it
constipated me! go know......natural is best, try prunes, dried figs,
apricots and drink plenty of water and walk.

- HAVE YOU STOPPED ALL DAIRY,SUGAR AND MOST FATS? YOU HAVEN'T BEEN GLUTEN
FREE VERY LONG AND IT TAKES TIME

- I try to do the 5 fresh fruits & vegs (combined total) every day

- Well, it is somewhat encouraging to hear that others have the same problem
as me.  My stools are never "normal".  I have been on the diet for 6 years.
I still have problems with accidental ingestion due to eating out, I
presume.  But even when I do all the cooking and don't eat out and don't eat
processed foods, I still have the loose bowel movements.  I presumed it was
a celiac condition that would not go away....... maybe it should??

- Shape or form is not a problem- the questions that should concern you are
diarrhea, which causes dehydration, blood in the stool, constipation, pain,
bloating, or foul smell. It sounds as if you have no problem. I read a doc
who said if you think your stool is too soft, too thin, too green or
whatever, just don't look at it!

- I have that problem whenever I get gluten or eat too much dairy.

- Lactose could be a culprit. Also watch out for soy products. I get much of
my fiber from beans. The black beans don't give you the "side effects" of
others. I buy dried beans and cook them up myself. I usually find that I get
the soft stool problem when I have gotten some form of hidden gluten. It's
not as easy as one would think to be totally gluten free in today's world.
All we can do is keep trying!

- my celiac child gets also soft stools from lactose if his intestinals are
not ok, which means he had an gluten accident a bit before.

- I have been taking a product called Intestinal Soothe and Build.  It
states that it has nutrients to
support the lower bowel, relieves occasional bloating and pressure, and
soothes the intestinal tract.  It
has a proprietary blend of chamomile flowers, marshmallow root, plantain
herb, rose hips slippery
elm bark, and bugleweed herb.  The company is called Nature's Sunshine at
http://www.naturessunshine.com/
Before going on this, I stool was not too bad, but it was sort of soft.
After being on this for about two
weeks, my movements were MUCH more solid and more volumuous which makes me
wonder if that extra stuff
had been sitting in there for a while.  So, this product definitely seemed
to work for me.

- My advise is to stay away from fiber until your villi heal. For me, that
took 18 months, and I also had to stay away
from oats, corn, milk, milk products, carrots, bananas and lactose.  I have
a couple of food allergies that frequently get in the way of figuring out
what set me off, too.

- Just wanted to give my two cents worth from my own experience.  I've had
similar problems, not related to celiac (I have DH and don't really have any
intestinal reactions), but simply to stress.  (Mostly worries about others
in my family.)  My doctor has called it "spastic colon."  It's kind of a
Catch-22.  When you feel that way, you become more stressed.  And you don't
feel like doing what I've found is one solution (and doctor's advice):
exercise.  But if only one can do some mild things--walking the dog, mild
treadmill exercise or any pleasant activity or moving around.  Also, I found
that all the fruits etc. didn't give enough fiber, so--again doctor's
advice--I tried Metamucil three times a day and that did help.  The one
important thing to keep in mind is this:  There will be an end to it!  Even
if you feel you're not going to find a solution, YOU WILL!  That attitude is
important to keep the stress from compounding it.  In no way do I intend to
make it sound simple, but you will get better.  Good luck, and hang in
there.

- Sometimes the supplements can do it. Flax seed oil and lecithin both do it
to me. Also it may be that you are getting too much fiber. Many of us are
sensitive to fiber. I know exactly how many cherries, grapes, 1/4 apple,
etc., I can eat without problems. The limits work if I don't also have other
problems. Some naturopaths may know a little more than traditional docs
about celiac. They may even suggest CD as a possibility before regular docs,
but I've never met either one that knew much beyond  how to test, and most
don't even know that. I've been counseling one of the naturopaths in my area
because he felt adequate enough to admit he didn't know much about it.