From:
Joanne D <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Feb 2001 13:27:02 -0500

Here is the summary of the request for info. on pain meds.  Many helpful

I under stand that the nongeneric T3 is GF free.  I've taken it often with
no difficulties.  I think the brand name is made by McNeil.

I used tylenol with codeine last summer.  The pharmacist i have always
calls the companies to make sure if something is gf, and if they can't
guarantee it he calls my doctor for a substitute.  So, as of last summer,
it was gf.

I found another web page and it looks like Tylenol with Codeine is GF. See
http://www.rxmed.com/monographs/tylinlo3.html

According to the Clan Thompson Drug database, the following 2 companies
manufacture GF acetominophen+codeine:

Purepac   (800)432-8534
Teva      (800)523-6542 X5260

Clan Thompson last verified this information June 2000, so it might not
hurt to re-verify with the manufacturers.  ...You can ask your pharmacist
to check or give you  800 #'s of the manufacturers for any medications.

Maybe having CD is why I have had problems with taking Codeine, as apposed
to being an actual allergy! None-the-less, the only medication that my
doctors have given me after ... is Vicodin. It comes in different strengths
and goes by some other names, as well as being made by several different
pharmaceutical companies.  If I can take this medication with no
complications, it is safe to take!

This medication is closely related to Codeine, which causes a red flag to
come up on their computer screen, saying that it can't be taken by somebody
who is allergic or sensitive to Codeine. I then have to explain everything
to the pharmacist and go from there.

If you would like to have some of the names of some of the Vicodin
products, let me know and I can look it up in my PDR!

Vicodin would be your best choice.  Also, if the pain is minimal, Tylenol
gelcaps might be an option.

Vicodin  (hydrocodone and tylenol)  and the old standby, Percocet
(oxycodone  and tylenol)........  but I'm new to this and have no clue
if they're GF.  They are both synthetic codeine. Warning, though: I've
heard many folks say  Percocet doesn't work for them, and for me it is
roughly as effective as  M&Ms. For chronic post-op pain your MD might
(might) be willing to try MS  contin, a sustained-release oral morphine.
There are also "patch" pain meds,  Duragesic being the most popular.

Check out www. StokesPharmacy.com. I was at a meeting yesterday and came
across the book for prescription drugs. Vicodin was not gf. I am not sure
about Tylenol.

Ask for Lortab or Vicodin.  A recent post to this listserve declared them
gluten free, per Manufacturer.  I took Lortab after my surgery without a
problem.

I am using a generic for Darvaset (sp?) for a pain killer after I got off
the  morphine given in the hospital for back surgery.  It is made by Eli
Lilly and  distributed by Mylan.  It is a white pill and has a 1155 stamped
on it.  It  was verified by Eli Lilly to be GF and soy free.  Corn may be a
starch used.

Darvosett is GF.  Checked by my pharmacist and Gastroenterologist.  I also
followed up.  I use it for my Crohns pain.

An excellent alternative that is gluten free and lactose free is Darvocet.

It is a MUCH better painkiller than Tylenol 3!  All that one does is make
me sleepy and does nothing for the pain.  I also am allergic to codeine and
you would not believe the young doctors that think there are no painkillers
without codeine!  There certainly are and Darvocet is just one of them.
Hope this helps.

Percocet is a little stronger than vicodin or T3, but it's GF. Just take
a half a pill if that's all you need.

percocet and percodan tablets are both gluten free.

Vioxx is a superior alternative and GF as well.  You should use 50 mg once
a day!  Ask your doctor to speak to the Merck drug rep about the new data
with a head to head study against Tylenol/codeine.