From:
Maureen Marx <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Sep 1996 02:58:50 -0700

A couple months ago there was a discussion about whether the small gluten
quantity (15 mg/250 ml) was enough to trigger a celiac reaction.  I
wanted to add my experience.

My daughter has many allergies, she does not have CD but is allergic to
wheat, oats, rye and barley (among many others) so she is on a gluten
free diet. I was avoiding all her allergens and yet she still had excema
and nasal congestion that were allergy related that made no sense to me.
When I found out that Rice Dream contained barley I stopped giving it to
her and her nasal congestion cleared up as did the last of her excema.
Therefore in her case there is enough barley to trigger a very visible
allergic reaction. (Last night I gave her a little and she was scratching
today.)  I'm hoping this info may be useful to someone trying to decide
if Rice Dream does affect them even though I know allergies and CD are at
different levels of the immune system.  My question out of this post is
how can Imagine Foods get away with not labelling an ingredient in their
product?

Maureen