From:
Mary Ann Coyle <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mary Ann Coyle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Apr 2005 20:32:18 -0400

A summary of replies so far to my post on crackers in the surgery recovery room.

Most respondents are themselves planning upcoming surgeries and were glad of the warning.

A few pointed out that it is not required nor necessary to eat the crackers in the recovery room and that they had had only juice.  [I understand this was an option, but I was really very glad to have gf crackers before getting in the car.  I think it did help avoid stomach upset.  Also, there were cracker crumbs all over the tables next to my chair.  I was glad to have been vocal to at the very least get a quick response from the staff in cleaning the table where they were setting my drink.]

One respondent had an allergy alert message on the hospital wristband.  [I didn't read mine so don't know if it was marked.]

One respondent said that her daughter has had similar experiences at another Philadelphia hospital, both for a surgery and in the ER.  At one point, the hospital would not discharge her until she had eaten something and family members had to go home for it.

One respondent relayed that Columbia Presbyterian Hospital in NYC, where the Celiac Center is located, offers no gluten-free recovery food for celiac patients undergoing endoscopy or colonoscopy procedures.  [I would hope something could be done about that!]

Mary Ann