From:
Dick LeTourneau <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dick LeTourneau <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Sep 2003 22:41:05 -0400

List mates,

I posted a question a while back concerning restaurants which speak
"gluten free" on Cape Cod, MA. Here are the results along with my own
editorial comments. Thanks to all who responded. My wife and I had a
great time and I had no ill effects.

Lindsey's Family Restaurant in Buzzard's Bay has many items that are
safe because they cook "homemade meals".

In Hyannis the best by far is The Paddock. In Dennis, the Marshside
Restaurant (is recommended).

If you head to Provincetown, Tofu a Go-go is excellent. Has gluten-free
bread at lunchtime and they use wheatfree soysauce in their dishes. Very
knowledgeable and delicious. Mac's in Wellfleet was good for take-out. I
called ahead and spoke to the
owner. Their fries are gluten free and I had either their fish entrees
or their burrito without the wrap.

Siena, opened in Mashpee Commons. I talked to the chef . He was helpful
and knowledgeable-- his wife is wheat intolerant. They even mention on
the menu that they can accommodate a GF diet.

We were (in Wellfleet) this summer and ate at the Lobster Hutt, where
there are lobsters, corn, potatos. Pretty basic but good.

Also, we ate at a place called PJ's in Wellfleet, which is right on
Route 6. Its pretty basic but they had clam chowder which had no flour
in it. It was very good and my daughter, who has Celiac, loved it. Also,
they cook their french fries in a separate cooker, so we were
comfortable with that. I believe that their ice cream is also okay
although I have not looked into it.

I also heard that Moby Dicks, which is another basic fish place on Route
6 in Wellfleet, is a good place to go with gf french fries, lobster, etc.

Several people mentioned Outback.

One person mentioned the archives which I have checked and found good
info. I was a little concerned since restaurants come and go and change
their menu.

My comments&

We were only there for two days and we did eat at Moby Dick s and PJs. I
asked the manager at both places about their fries. At Moby Dick s we
were told that the fries are cooked in a dedicated fryer, BUT the oil is
merged, strained, and put back at the end of the day. Oops!! Get the
baked potato.

PJs does have a dedicated fryer, but they cook fries in the other fryers
too during busy times along with breaded items. Nothing breaded is
cooked in the fries fryer. Always ask that your fries be cooked in the
dedicated fryer and you should be ok. Their salads come with Ken s
dressings which I ve heard here are gf.

A place which nobody mentioned, but I found acceptable for breakfast, is
(believe it or not) the Pancake Man on rte 28 in South Yarmouth. Their
eggs are cooked in dedicated frying pans. I had bacon and eggs with no
ill effects.