From:
"Ronald Hoggan, Queen Elizabeth High School" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Dec 1995 11:44:55 -0700

Hi Andy,
I was diagnosed with "colicky appendix" when I was 11 years old. At 14 or 15
I was diagnosed with a "nervous stomach". By 16 I was diagnosed with an
ulcer that, "not unusually, could not be detected by x-ray". I had gone
through a number of barium enema  and barium drink x-rays. I often took
baking soda and water to neutralize the acid that often seemed to be with
me. I sometimes threw up my breakfast on the way to school. I looked healthy,
and was very strong for my size, so I was viewed as a hypochondriac.

Just after my ulcer diagnosis, I started to get better. It might have been
the bland diet I was sort of following.

In my early twenties, I was consuming one or two rolls of rolaids per day, and
was using the ulcer diagnosis as justification for not bothering to see the
doctor anymore.

In my mid-twenties, my mother had a tumor removed from one lung. The tumor
involved three lymph nodes.

When I was 29, I was passing substantial volumes of blood. The doctor told
me I probably had a bleeding ulcer. I underwent more fasting (which made me
feel better) then more barium x-rays (which made me feel worse). The doctor
decided that I had exaggerated the amount of blood I had passed, and told
me I just had hemorroids.

In my mid-thirties, my father died from intestinal bleeding. Until 4 days
before his death, he had been in the hospital, and they could not find
anything wrong with him. The diagnosis was an ulcer that was undetected on
the x-rays.  At autopsy, it was determined that he had bled to death from
a duodenal ulcer.

At about that time, my mother was developing fairly severe symptoms that were
diagnosed as osteoarthritis. She was quite overweight, and ate compulsively,
thus continuing to gain more weight. She dieted, tried all manner of plans,
but continued to eat compulsively.

I continued to have a variety of health problems that seemed to interfere
with my work. The depression was almost constant. I was always tired, and
slept very soundly. (After difficulty getting to sleep, I was extremely
difficult to awaken.)

At forty eight years old, I saw yet another doctor. She asked about the
medications I was taking. I told her about the ulcer medications, FROM WHICH
I ALWAYS GOT TEMPORARY RELIEF WHEN I FIRST STARTED TAKING THEM, which included
peptol, ranitidine, zantac, and others I can't remember the name of. She
asked me how long I had been taking the current medication, and I told her
about 9 years. She was shocked and angry. She told me that was inappropriate.
I should undergo testing to be sure
I should undergo testing to be sure of what the problem is , and work on finding
a solution ...... not continue with a treatment that only worked in the first
few months, to alleviate the symptoms.

That was the first step on the road to my diagnosis. About 8 months after I was
diagnosed, my brother was diagnosed with lymphoma. His doctors have dismissed
the possibility that he might have celiac disease, and that a g-f diet might
help him battle the cancer.

If my cd had been diagnosed when I was a young adult, I could have been very
successful. I regret that so many doctors are so quick to judge patients,
and so quick to pat themselves on the back. It seems a real challenge to many
of them to just listen. Others just can't manage.

I know I own some of the responsibility for the diagnosis having taken so long.
I should have badgered the doctors. But that seemed to be very
 counter-productive. I know I should have put more energy into my concerns for
 my healt, and
sought an accurate diagnosis. The problem is that I accepted their diagnoses.
I trusted what they were saying. It seemed to make sense, just as what they
are saying to my brother probably makes sense to him. It feels like they are
murdering him with their closed minds and their self-congradulatory arrogance
but ultimately it is my brother's responsibility to listen and make up his own
mind. It is his own life. It is just breaking my heart. CD is soooooo treatable.

Cancer kills.

I do go on. I'm sorry if this isn't what you were looking for, but I can only
tell my story. I'm sure it would have been better for your purposes if I had\
left out a lot of the emotional stuff.

Oh, ya, my mom has been on a g-f diet for about 6 months now, and she has
stopped eating compulsively. I think both my parents had cd. I think my bro
has it too.

Best Wishes,

Ron Hoggan