From:
LIZ DECLEENE <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
LIZ DECLEENE <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Jul 2008 10:04:53 -0600

As the temperatures are soaring, I thought about this old time favorite summer recipe.  I'm making it tonight for friends and thought some of you might enjoy it too.

Syllabub

Syllabub is a favorite non-bake summer lemon recipe.   It was a popular dessert in 17th, 18th and early 19th century England.  They  made it with fresh cream from the family cow and alcohol - probably more we than we add today.

1 quart heavy cream
4 lemons juiced
2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup dry white wine, sherry, champagne or non alcoholic drink

In a large bowl, whip the cream until thick.  Mix the lemon, zest, sugar, and wine until combined.  Pour this wine mixture into the whipped cream.  Fold lemon mixture into whipped cream until just mixed. The mixture should be fluffy. Taste. Add more sugar if you prefer it sweeter. Put in glasses and chill.

This and other recipies including lots of  picnic ideas are on Natural Gluten-Free Living.  You can sign up at www.therubyrange.com<http://www.therubyrange.com/>