From:
Diane Holmes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Aug 2000 10:41:44 -0700

Hi Listmates,

At a recent medical exam a newly graduated resident doctor was taking
my medical history.  The resident asked if I had any allergies and I
mentioned gluten.  He got a glazed look in his eye, thought a couple
of seconds and then said " Celiac Sprue."  "Wheat, you can't eat any
wheat, right?"  He asked if I had diarrhea, what my symptoms were and
many other questions about how I was diagnosed.

I complimented him on even knowing about celiac disease and said that
it was rumored that doctors got about 10 minutes education in medical
school about this disease.  "Not even that much time," he said.  He
didn't know where or how that knowledge popped out of his brain.

I then went on to tell him that he would be hearing a lot more about
cd and mentioned the U of Maryland study and the incidence of one in
every 150.  Anytime anyone is diagnosed with IBS, think of cd instead,
I said, as I continued his education!

Wouldn't it be effective if all of us printed the July University of
Maryland news release with Rich Gannon as spokesperson and sent it to
every doctor we know.  Let's do it!

Diane Holmes - Kirkland WA USA

PS  I don't have the news release on my computer anymore.  Just a hard
copy.  Will someone please repost it so we can all print it out, copy
it and send it on to health care professionals?