From:
CONNIE SARROS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Jan 1998 06:41:20 UT

Hello Fellow Celiacs--

About a week ago I posted a question asking for suggestions of light-weight GF
foods I could take with me on a 2-week trip out of the country.  Your
too, were planning to travel and would appreciate it if I posted my results
for everyone's traveling benefit.

Below are some of the suggestions that were sent to me:

Take a loaf of fruit bread (banana, apple, etc.) wrapped in foil, then a
plastic bag.  It should stay fresh for a week and the fruit bread will be more
moist than regular bread.  Fruit bread and fresh fruit (bought along the way)
will serve well for an emergency breakfast.

A box of cereal is lightweight and all you have to do is add milk at your
destination.

Put GF cereal in small baggies.

Take Fantastic Soups, which are dried soups you find in your health food
stores.  Add hot water and you have a meal. (Edwards & Sons freeze-dried soups
were recommended.)  You may want to take a hot pot to boil water (and outlet
converter).

Tamarind Tree make vegetarian, shelf-stable pre-packaged foods that only need
to be boiled or microwaved.

"My Own Meals" makes food for the military.  They have stews, casseroles,
etc.  They have some GF meals.  Does anyone know how I can get in touch with
this company?

One suggested mailing foods ahead of time to my destination hotel--it's less
to carry on the plane.

G-Foods in Calif. have delicious breakfast bars to take.

Take GF crackers and buy cheese along the way.

Cookies travel well;  candy bars are good for an emergency.

Take nuts, dried fruit, or Health Valley fruit bars to fill in the voids.

Take Ensure to insure that you are getting the proper nutrition.

Two said they take plastic containers of biscotti or other snacks that hold
well.

Peanut Butter and bread or crackers was suggested by several.

One woman buys a light weight cooler filled with GF foods and takes it on the
plane as luggage.  She said customs only check the contents when you come
back, not going over.  When she got to her destination, she bought ice.  I
presume she shopped at the local foreign stores for GF foods.

Many suggested taking along the restaurant cards in various languages that can
be found in the book, "Against The Grain."

Many warned me not to count on GF foods on the planes.  It is necessary to
call the airlines 24 hours ahead to check to see if they have ordered a GF
meal for you.

Thank you so much for all of your wonderful suggestions.  Hope others benefit
from this posting.

Connie in Ohio