From:
Judith Potts <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Aug 1997 15:48:20 -0500

I've been GF for about 18 months and have been doing reasonably well.
Though still tired most of the time, at least most of the other problems
have improved and/or disappeared (e.g., diarrhea, lactose intolerance,
intestinal cramps,  etc.).

I found out last fall I have osteoporosis - most likely from all the years
of malabsorption before going GF. At that time, I was tested for thyroid
function, and everything was o.k. I wasn't tested for cholesterol, but the
last time I was tested in 1990, that was quite low.

Last week, I had blood tests as part of my annual check up. These showed I
have a thyroid problem (underactive) and high cholesterol.  I'm very down
about this.

Do you think these problems could be associated with going GF?

As far as cholesterol goes, I eat a fairly low-meat diet (mostly chicken,
fish, and some hamburger), use skim milk, fat free yoghurt, no butter, etc.

For the thyroid problem, is there something I'm missing in the GF diet that
I should be taking as a supplement to address this problem?

Any and all encouragement, personal stories, advise, etc. would be
gratefully accepted.

Thanks in advance!

Best Regards,

Judith