From:
gfkitchen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Jan 2000 21:08:42 -0600

Hello Everyone,

I thought I would make a comment on the issue of getting Food Labels changed
by writing to the FDA. Anyone can voice a concern, by mail, fax, phone,
and/or email to the FDA; however, to get a law or regulation changed you
need to fill out a citizens petition.

* If you want to get a regulation and/or law changed then you need to fill
out a citizens petition. A citizens petition form can be found at
www.fda.gov. It is a generic form that tells you how to create one.

A citizens petition must contain the following statements:

1. Regulation or law that you want changed, it needs to be the actual law,
   not just your view of it.
2. Statement of why you want the law changed, and how
3. Environmental impact statement
4. Economical impact statement
5. Comment Section - optional, but encouraged
6. Signature of petitioner
7. signature of Author, if different from the petitioner

You need to send in your petition individual, since each will receive a
separate docket number. The more docket numbers the better.

Example: If you place 10 signed petitions in one envelope and sent to the
FDA, it would only receive 1 docket number instead of ten.

I have a citizens petition with all the required information already on it,
and it is approved by the FDA on my website. If anyone is interested in
obtaining one. It is located at:
http://gfkitchen.server101.com

Also do not forget to send letters to manufacturers and/or your senators.
You can also find a list of senators on my website under the section titled
Campaign for Better Food Labels.

Mary Jo is right the more letters the better. The Docket number listed is
for a letter that was sent to a woman thanking her for her request for
better food label. I cannot find what petition she sent in, it is not
listed. Under search at www.fda.gov  you can conduct a search for Natural
Flavoring , spices, or modified food starch and you will see a list of many
petitions that each have unique docket numbers.

I have spoken to the FDA many times, and they tell me the only way to get
their attention is to mail in citizens petitions, stating what ordinance you
feel should be changed in a clear manner and precise manner.

My site, as well as the F.A.S.T. website and The Vegetarian Legal Council
all have petitions available for download. After down loading, you need to
sign it and add your own personal comments.

Mail the petition to:
FDA
Dockets Management Branch, HFA-305
Food and Drug Administration