From:
Barbara Parkman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Feb 2000 13:22:44 -0600

Hi List,

Thanks for the many useful replys about toothpaste.  As usual, you are a
great help!

Here's my original post:

I have been trying to figure out what's been causing an ongoing gluten
reaction since before Christmas -- think I finally have it narrowed down to
Colgate toothpaste.  I have been using Colgate for years with no trouble
until recently, but I know manufacturers change their formulas.  I checked
the archives, and Colgate was listed as GF in a posting of Nov 98 (18854).
The same posting also lists Tom's of Maine, Crest, Crest Kids, Pearl Drops,
Sensodyne as GF. Anybody have any more up to date info on toothpaste?  Thanks.

Here's the replies, I centainly got a mixed bag:

Joni:  Funny you should ask at this time. I *just* sent my own query to the
company, and here is their response back to me. Hope this helps!

Michael:  I checked with Colgate 2 months ago and they said they were GF.
Call the 800 number to be sure. Sharon in St. Louis

Joan:  Barbara, As far as I know Colgate is till supposed to be all right, but
I had problems with it and switched to Tom's of Maine, or Crest and am
doing a lot better. I cannot use all kinds of Crest, only the one that
is white. I have trouble with food colorings. Tom's of Maine has proved
to be best for me. Hope this helps. J. Hopkins

Lisa:  I got sick on Colgate too. I switched to Tom's but it does not
whiten my teeth as well.

VFris:  It's (Colgate) still GF/you could have just acquired an allergy to
it.  It happend to my husband.  We use Crest for years and then one day he
started haveing a reaction.  I slowly eliminated and changed everything
from laundry soap cologne bath soap etc.  Finally got to the tooth paste
and thats what it was.  Just changed brands.

Renee:  I use Aqua Fresh and have checked it as well as Crest and Sensodyne
recently.

All are GF.

Ann:  I use Tom's and have no problems what so ever. I also like the fact
that you can get it without flouride.

Barbara:  My own experience was to switch from Colgate to Tom's, and I felt
better right away.  Thanks again Celiac List.

Barbara Parkman