From:
Betty Rosen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 11 Jun 2003 11:02:55 EDT

Thanks to all who wrote about salad dressings.   Below is a summary of your

First of all, almost all of you said to avoid any dressing that had Bleu
Cheese in it; they are unsafe as no one can guarantee if the mold was taken from a
gluten source.  One person suggested making her own with either Boar's Head
or Treasure Cave cheese.  [as an aside, I have found that I cannot tolerate
Boar's Head Bleu Cheese; this could be an idiosyncratic response on my part; but
it does suggest that one has to be cautious using any bleu cheese.

Another new fact for us:  Wishbone is no longer guaranteeing its salad
dressing to be gluten-free as they can no longer vouch for their vinegar source.

As for individual brands:

Annie's Naturals which are gluten free was the overwhelming favorite -- 8 of
you endorsed this brand.  Website: www.anniesnatural.com

Kraft came in second with 4 votes.  One responder said that Kraft Caesar
Vinaigrette was her favorite.

The following were suggested by one reader each:  Drews, Newman's Own,
Litehouse, Marie's GF, Amy's salad dressings, Hellmans, Seeds of Change.

Two other recommendations:
Avoid all low fat and fate free dressings.
Some celiacs react to canola oil and that may be a cause of distress if that
is an ingredient in a salad dressing.

Thanks for all the information,
Carl