From:
Terrence Gulliford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Oct 2000 19:53:51 +0200

Hi,I thought this was well worth adding to the other summaries The
report on the UK TV program only reported the hope that one could be
made in the future.  There's also a lot more science needs doing, as
there's absolutely no reason for believing that all Coeliacs suffer from
an identical disease (indeed no-one reading this list would REALLY
believe that they do).  The point I'm making is that we don't yet know
that ONLY the one major peptide chain known to give problems causes
coeliac in all coeliacs.  It may well be that some respond to 5 or 6
different gliadins, some to only one or two.  This would explain some of
the funny results coming out about oats.  My wife gets coeliac from
oats, whether guaranteed wheat-free or not.

Thanks,Tracy.