From:
Solange Moon <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 16 Aug 2002 09:10:40 EDT

Hi Listmates,

Recently there has been some discussion on oatmeal and this brought up two
issues which I wanted to share:

1.  I did get the McCain's Irish Steel Cut Oats to try and I did not get sick
in my gut,
     but I did get a rash reaction.  I spoke with my GI about it and he said
that oats
     do have gluten, but he has seen celiacs who can eat pure milled oats and
some
     who cannot.  Since I don't want to lose 2 years of diligent gluten free
planning,
     have decided to let the oats go.  Everyone else, use your own
discretion.

2.  I want to warn you off of Tasti Delight.  The lure of this frozen dessert
is that
     it has almost no calories whatsoever.  However, it does contain Oat
Bran.  I had
     literally one ounce and within two hours I was bloated and gassy like I
haven't
     seen since diagnosis.  The diarreah was hideous as well.  I am not
lactose
     intolerant, so I believe it was the oat bran.

3.  For those in Queens, New York, I visited Lemon Ice King of Corona, and
while
     they are totally unable to answer questions about gluten, I had some
amazing
     Pistaccio ices and didn't have any side effect at all.  When I asked the
owner if
     they put wheat or any stabilizers in their ices he said "Why would we do
that; this
     isn't bread or pasta?"  Why indeed.  Could somebody please tell Haagen
Daz!

Stay cool and enjoy the Summer.

Love and peace,

Libby