From:
Harriett Langdon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Mar 1996 09:29:52 EST

Exec. Secretary, Dept. of Surgery
Phone: 588-5453

Dr. Joseph Murray, Asst.  Professor of Medicine, University and one of our
esteemed celiac disease experts was a guest speaker at a meeting of the Div.
of Gastroenterolgy, University of Louisville, Louisville, Kentucky on March 21
1996.  He was invited by Dr. Richard Wright, Chief of the Div of
Gastroenterology at the University.  Dr. Murray gave his "professional talk"
as opposed to his "Lay person" talk.  It was very informative as well as
entertaining.  There were over 52 individuals in attendance including
physicians, nurses, gastroenterology residents and fellows, and members of
the local celiac support group.  To the best of my knowledge, this was the
first time anyone came to Louisville to discuss the topic of celiac disease.
A nearly-gluten-free meal was served to all in attendance.  I think we have
started the ball rolling in Louisville and hope to see more celiacs diagnosed
and more referrals to the local support group.

On another note, in response to a recent article about celiac disease in the
LOuisville Jewish Hospital "Choices" publication, 154 individuals contacted
the hospital for receive additional information about celiac disease.  Thanks
again to the Celiac Listserve owners who have made this method of
communication available, thereby expanding the fund of knowledge for many,
many individuals worldwide.