From:
Jim Ricketts <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Jun 1997 21:16:16 -0400

I've seen some of the other responses, and I agree.  Once = always as
far as I am concerned.

1. I noticed that the basis for your colleague's reversion to non-GF
diet was the "blood test".  This strikes me as an invalid conclusion.
The antibody tests (particuarly at the sensitivity they had 9 years ago)
would be *expected* to be negative in a coeliac who had been careful
with diet.  The normal course of any antibody production is that in the
absence of stimulus the level falls.  The *antibody* is produced only in
the presence of damage.

2. I notice also that "she has no symptoms for 9 years whilst eating
gluten".  I had no symptoms (except mouth ulcers) for over 25 years, and
minimal signs (migraines) for another 10 before I started to really
suffer.  Never the less, I was probably "diagnoseable" when I was young.
 Certainly my youngest daughter was.

3. Your friend is now at the age when a number of adults find problems
developing.

4. She *may* have been misdiagnosed.  However she won't know that until
she submits to another biopsy, and blood tests, and probably this would
not be conclusive until she was tissue typed.  Just being asymptomatic
is no assurance that she really is suffering no damage, and even showing
no damage now is not a guarantee that she never will.

Jim Ricketts (Australia)