From:
David Wurtman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David Wurtman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Jan 2005 16:54:01 -0800

Listmates,

I have received several responses to my earlier email about g-f meals being available on United. All of them complain about how the situation in the past. Seems no one has flown them since Jan 7, 2005, the day they reinstated g-f meals.

Please be aware that not only did it take >8 months of a directed, persistent, letter-writing campaign to the CEO, CFO, SVP Catering, COO and Chairman of the Board to get the meals back, but what appears to have finally convinced them to take the plunge is the expectation that there are thousands of Celiacs who fly but do not fly United, or do, but hate it, b/c of their special meal policy.

I have absolutely no financial interest in United, but would point out that it would behoove us as a community to reward a company, assuming it's no more expensive or no less convenient, that has agreed to help serve our needs. And even if you don't fly them, they need to feel like there really are a lot of people who care about their decision to serve g-f. So pls ask your close friends who understand CD to help out by ordering a g-f meal on occasion. Both so we can monitor how United is doing, and so that in 6 months someone at the airline doesn't review special meal requests and discover that for all the hype about CD, no one is ordering the meals -- which happens to be one of the reasons they gave for stopping to serve them 4 years ago.

Let's not lose this one...

Thanks.