From:
Marie Davies <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Feb 2000 17:34:42 +1030

Hi Again All!!

It's another GREY area....

I almost wished that I'd never asked the question :-)  What I did find
out is that allot of people didn't know either but wanted to know the
answer.

As every-one is different, and our bodies are all different it is very
hard to get a clear picture.

MY theory is:
There is Celiacs and there is Wheat Allergy
Some people are purely Celiac,
some people have Celiacs with a slight allergy.
some people have Celiacs with a big allergy,
some have seem to have less Celiac symptoms than others.
some may just be sensitive to wheat like you can be to say - tomatoes.
some may have all of the above and more
throw in some lactoe intolerance etc etc and how can you possibly tell
it apart?

There does seem to be some difference between the more pure Celiacs and
the pure Allergy people.

The people with allergies seemed to have extreme physical reactions
immediately. (as you would get if you were allergic to bees and got a
bee sting) The allergy people listed these kind of symptoms:

Allergy Symptoms - (most people's were immediate)
Migraines, throat swelling up, swollen itchy eyes, respiratory problems,
headaches, body aches, tired and run down, skin rashes, triggers off
asthma,  swelling in joints puffiness, lethargy, headaches, and more
headaches

The other method is of course the blood tests and all the other medical
tests. There seems to be a problem in this in that over half the people
who had these tests didn't believe the results. I guess it is hard to
get these accurate? People who were told that the allergy test was
negative told me that they think that they are positive because they
have all the allergy symptoms.

Some-one told me that wheat allergies were extremely rare.
Some-one told me that wheat allergies were extremely common.

So again I came up with no real answer. This was interesting though. A
celiac wrote and said that they could safely consume Wheat Grass juice,
their partner was sick on it though, as they were allergic to wheat as
opposed to gluten.

So a quick test at home to give you some idea? (use your own judgment
here people!)

Wheat grass Juice:  Celiacs can consume this with no problem as it does
not contain any gluten. The Wheat Allergy people will have a reaction as
it has wheat.

What it tastes like... I don't know.

There is a blood type diet, that can explain parts of this question as
another alternative method. (I can't remember my blood type! I have to
ask my mum this weekend!)

As for me? I still don't know. I seem to get both sets of symptoms at
different times. I can eat a slice of bread and just have some wind, and
slight symptoms etc the next day, another time I ate a McDonalds
hamburger (minus the bun) and had severe stomach pains immediately (my
stomach was about to bust and I had to lie down) followed by migraines.
Maybe I have some other allergies too?

Between this and the "Spelt" post my mind is boggling, I am now going to
go have a nice Coffee.... (from freshly ground beans and lactose free
milk of course) and try to relax!

Again, thanks to all who answered you are great.  Hope I'm not driving
you all crazy with my questions! :-)

Marie Davies