From:
Stephanie Kelley <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Stephanie Kelley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Oct 2008 20:12:38 -0700

I'm a little confused and maybe someone can help me understand this
better...in layman's terms please...

My two daughters had DNA testing done through Enterolab.

My 3 year old DOES NOT have my celiac gene, but does have TWO gluten
sensitivity genes. Apparently one from me and one from her dad. I know
these are pretty common in the general population.

My 13 week old DOES have my celiac gene and ONE gluten sensitivity gene.

So...what's the difference between celiac and gluten sensitivity? What
I'm reading leads me to believe that both conditions can cause
intestinal damage, etc. They sound like the same condition with
different names. I originally thought that gluten sensitivity was akin
to having lactose intolerance...makes you very uncomfortable but
doesn't do any damage. Is that wrong?

Is it safe for me to assume that my 3 year old CANNOT develop celiac
disease? What kind of symptoms should I watch her for in regard to
gluten sensitivity?

Again, please keep this in layman's terms and avoid any lengthy DNA
explanations...I must admit that my mind doesn't process all of that
info very well and I tend to shut down when too much HLH and DQ stuff
is involved. Way too scientific for my taste. I just want to know what
to do with my girls now that I know what genes they carry.

Thanks everyone for the help!!!

Stephanie