From:
Jodie Regan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Jun 2000 08:29:52 -0700

Hi Everyone
I received several responses to this question. Many, many people asked
for a summary, which tells me that there are a lot of us who really
don't understand the blood tests related to Celiac.  I have cut and
paste the responses which pointed to web sites for information.  I
haven't checked any of these sites yet - so I don't know whether or not
they're helpful.

(I wonder if the 'student' who recently posted an IgG/IgA question on
this list will share his/her report with us??)

Also - a lot of folks stated that the new Ttg test is more reliable (but
not widely available).

***Check out the All Allergy Net at http://allallergynet/ for lots of
great, specific information, and go to the related
http://www.allergysa.org/GIF/handbook.jpg for everything you needed to
know about allergies and food intolerances and then some!  Both of these
are wonderful resources and under-stated (or never stated!)  on this
list, ,so if you do a summary, please be sure to mention them.  They're
really helpful at all levels.

*** A good site: http://www.fastlane.net/homepages/thodge/DIAG-TST.txt
It might be here, if you haven't seen it already.

***I just saw Dr.  Horvath speak last weekend (he's with U MD at the
center for celiac research)....it is my impression that the best test is
the new Ttg (tissue trans-glutaminase) which actually tests for the
presence of the "thing" that the anti-endomysial antibodies are reacting
to.  (clear as mud, right?)  Unfortunately, he also mentioned that u.s.
labs aren't standardized and not reliable...maybe if you can track down
the U.  MD.  program you could have blood drawn and sent there for
testing....they are trying to gather data on relatives of celiacs.

***There is a new, more accurate blood test called the
tTG or tissue Trans Glutamanase.  It is 98% accurate
for Celiac Sprue, according to Dr. Fasano, head of the
Celiac Center at University of Maryland, who was the
guest speaker at a meeting of CSA/GC (greater Chicago
chapter) recently.

***Check out www.celiac.com  You can also use the search feature of your
browser to find sites about celiac and narrow the search to antibody
testing.  You can also get info from www.celiacenter.org   Thsi si Dr.
Fasano's site at U. of Md. where he is doing the reserch with blood
tests to determine the prevalence in the U.S.

***What I've found from my research on IgE and IgM is this: IgE is the
antibody measured to determine allergies, found in mast cells and mucus
membranes. IgM, onthe other hand, is the antibody produced when
challenged by antigens and is present most oftenin delayed food
reactions or responses to viral or bacteria infections. ....