From:
David J Walland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Jun 1997 17:24:55 +0100

On Fri, 30 May 1997 20:08:21 GMT Chris Harrison
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> For those curious about eating GF in the UK, health food stores and Boots the
> Chemist drugstores in larger towns have bread, pre-mixed flours and great
> cookies (biscuits) along with crackers in the food/pharmacy department. Boots
> in smaller towns had the food behind the pharmacy counter and would order it
> for you. A common brand (which they served on the plane) of the GF bread is
> made with corn (called maize) meal which is kind of smallish and dry. It's ok
> with tea but not great for sandwiches.  As previously mentioned on this list,
> the bigger white and brown loaves available in Boots are made with "wheat
> starch" which has been processed to the point that UK coeliac standards
> consider GF. I ate it with no discernible ill effects.

The best bread we have so far found is called Ultrapharm
Lifestyle bread.  You can order this from any chemist
(=drugstore) but you may have to wait.  You can also order
direct from the supplier who will deliver to your door on a
next day service (but don't bet on it 100%)

> Avoid the sausages (which I have been told contain wheat) but no worries
> about eating in the pubs. It's easy to find "jacket potatoes," which are
> baked potatoes that come with ham and cheese, tuna, butter or other toppings.

Beware, grated cheese (commercial), it may be dusted with
flour (indeterminate) to make it free flow.  Other toppings
could easily contain modified starch which may be purified
enough but certainly isn't always.

> Ah yes, and for those who may worry about what to drink in the
> pubs, the hard cider is great. Several places had more than one brand on tap
> - dry, sweet, knock you in your cups. One didn't have to feel deprived of all
> that dark beer.

Some of our supermarkets supply *Danish Brewed* pilsner
beers.  The Danish Coeliac Soc says that all the "good"
Danish brewed beers are gluten free and those we have tried
all seem to be.  English brewed versions are NOT!  Names to
look out for are Faxe Fad (sold in most Asda supermarkets
in 1 litre cans) and Royal Ceres in 4 packs in a local
supermarket chain down here in the south called Somerfield
- you may have to ask them to get it for you)

David J Walland
University of Bristol Radiation Safety Officer
Tel +44 (0)117 928 8323
Fax +44 (0)117 929 1209