From:
KJ Kemmer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
KJ Kemmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Nov 2002 11:47:34 -0500

Hi,
I have a question that I am hoping someone will be able to answer
difinitively.  First, I must say that in our house we follow a very
conservative diet (my choice, please no negative e-mails) by this I mean no
real "commercial" foods, fast food, restaurants, vinegar, annatto, even
msg...basically we stick to whole foods.  One of the main reasons for this
has been that I don't know WHO decides a product is gluten free (in the
USA).  There are so many controvercial products like distilled vinegar for
example.  So when a company states "gluten free"...who has decided?  Is the
research so clear as to determine vinegar that has been distilled--truely
gluten free or does it get tested?  Because a food does not inherantly
contain gluten like corn meal but it is mill
ed in the same plant as wheat
flour can they still say it is gluten free?  I am exited by new products
that are beginning to show up and say "gluten free" right on the packaging
but WHO has decided?  In Europe (0.3) the standards are very different than
say Australia (.003) In Australia the same foods labeled GF in Europe would
only be considered low gluten.  What are our standards?...What are our
regulations as far as testing?
I would love to expand my family's diet but hesitate because of the range
of information out there as to what is and is not truely GF.  I would
appreciate any answers that you guys have.  I will summarize.
Thanks, Kristi