From:
Barbara Carleton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Aug 2000 23:29:53 -0400

This is the summary of the responses to my  inquiry to celiacs with
gallstones.  First let me just thank all the wonderful people who shared
their stories with me and for the best wishes and advice.  I have learned
so much and know it will help with any decisions we will have to make.

Noone recommended that my son have his gallbladder removed unless it was
causing immediate danger.  Most thought that if he does have celiac and
remains gluten free then the gallbladder will function normally again and
there will be no need to remove it.  Many recommended using a
gallbladder "flush"  or herbal remedy to flush out the stones. One person
also recommended removing the stones but not the gallbladder.

Several people told me that they (or someone in their family)  had their
gallbladders removed and then later found out they had CD.  Most felt there
was a connection between gallbladder disease and CD.   Here is one such
reply, "I had my gallbladder removed at age 30 and was diagnosed with
celiac disease several years later.  I had the bowel symptoms of Celiac
disease for many years but did not suffer anemia or malnutrition symptoms
until the time of my diagnosis.  I have been told by my internist that
there seems to be a link between celiac and gallbladder disease."  One man
reported having gallstones even after removing his gallbladder.

I also heard from several people that the biopsy may be negative since my
son will not be eating gluten for that long a time before having the test.
(on gluten about 3 weeks after being gluten free for about 6 weeks).  One
person also said that it might be better not to try and "nail" down the
diagnosis since it will affect his insurance forever. What a nightmare!

We are going to have the biopsy done sometime in September.  So far my son
has been on a nonrestricted diet with no problems.  I don't know what we'll
do if the biopsy is negative.   I guess it's one step at a time until we
have more answers or more problems.

Thanks again.

Barbara in San Diego