From:
Rebecca Richardson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Feb 1999 12:35:36 -0500

My daughter was diagnosed with celiac disease about 10 months ago, and we
have accepted that it is a life-long condition.  But, while looking on the
CSA website for drug information, I came upon the following statement: "In
the clinical management of gluten intolerance, it may be helpful to
differentiate between the conditions of transient gluten intolerance and
celiac disease .... A transient gluten intolerance may also occur, and is
a variant of gluten intolerance associated with celiac disease, especially
in children.  This syndrom of transient intolerance may occur when a child
with gastrointestinal symptoms and an abnormal small intestinal mucosa
responds to a gluten-free diet, but may subsequently thrive on a normal
gluten-containing diet, and after two or more years on such a diet be
found to have a normal mucosa."  Now I am really confused.  How does one
ever know whether the condition is true CD or "transient gluten intolerance"?  Is this why some doctors still do gluten challenges?  It would be
terrible to try to adhere to this diet for one's entire life if and when
it really isn't necessary!