From:
Catherine Bertrand <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Nov 2000 14:03:14 -0800

Well we had my daughter's endoscopy on Monday, after further blood work
revealed no anti-reticulin antibodies (which doesn't mean much, as I
understand it) and no IgA deficiency, to explain high IgG and normal IgA
and tTG-IgA.  It looked normal, the GI said, and he took 10-12 samples
he said.  He did notice irritation of the esophagus, which he wants to
prescribe Zantac for.  He is also doing a disaccharidase test (sp?)
which he says tests the enzyme levels in the stomach.  If those come
back normal, he says it will confirm that she does not have celiac.  If
it is abnormal, they will then send her biopsies to a specialty lab for
a second look, but the first lab to look at it (whoever Phoenix
Children's Hospital uses) said there was no evidence of celiac.  Does
anyone know anything about the disaccharidase test?  This is something I
have not heard of before.  I didn't know there was an enzyme test that
could confirm or deny a questionable biopsy reading.  Is this true?  I
will post any info I get on this.

Also, we recently sent off our blood to the Univ. of Maryland study on
the prevalence of Celiac in the US, to help the study, and to determine
my and my husband's CD status.  www.celiaccenter.org.  Will let you know
how it turns out.

Catherine in AZ