From:
Tami Berget <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Aug 2001 07:10:58 -0700

Hi list --

My kids start back to school on Tuesday.  I have a meeting Monday afternoon
with my son's teacher and the school principal to discuss the importance of
my son's GF diet, etc.

A bit of history...my youngest son's (age 10) biopsy was in late May.  It
came out negative although blood test one month prior was IGA=4 and IGG2
(negative for both of those is <20). His tTG was 3.  Main symptom was small
stature (he's in the 50th percentile physically and bone-age-wise for a
4.5-year-old).  We decided to go GF anyway to see if we got results.  We
began GF the second week in June, which is why his school and teachers
haven't been informed yet.  My son was weighed and measured by doctors just
before going GF and again last week.  He's grown one full inch and gained
1.25 pounds!  I was stunned.  I realize the sudden growth may be a fluke but
I'd really like to think the diet is responsible.  His bathroom problems
have virtually disappeared and he's eating like crazy.  Couldn't get food
down him before the diet.  He always said he wasn't hungry.

I appreciate any info from you folks regarding some really good points to
make when I meet with my son's teacher and principal.  Something that would
really make them stop and think about all this and how serious they need to
be.  I've made copies of several chapters from Danna Korn's book to have
them read and I've copied a couple newspaper stories and some stuff from
celiac.com.  I'm familiar with all the basics but I would like something
that will really get their attention.

It's a very small private school, grades pre-K through 5, less than 150
students.  Each class is limited to 16 kids so I'm confident that my son's
needs won't get "lost in the shuffle" so to speak.  He's been at this school
since age 5 so they know him well.

Thanks in advance.

Tami Berget
Northern California