From:
"Mara E. Levin" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Feb 1999 08:01:35 EST

Helen said:  <Now if only we had a national or international proactive
   campaign in full swing right now --- composed of all the niche market
   groups of consumers ---- to assist manufacturers and governments in making
   a decision to provide full disclosure product labelling, without
   exception.  We've got the energy, we just need the direction.>

I would also dearly love to see restaurants start to include some menu items
labeled for people with dietary restrictions. MANY people have restrictions,
not just us. Restaurants could actually increase their clientele
significantly. I mentioned it to a restauranteur recently and she said she was
interested. However, I wasn't prepared to really "sell" it to her right then.
What happened was I bumped into her in the supermarket, and she asked if I'd
been in to the restaurant lately. I said no, I had food allergies (easier than
explaining cd), and the ingredients of the things I used to eat had changed.
She said her little grandson gets horribly ill if he eats shellfish. She was
sympathetic, and offered to research the ingredients and make necessary
changes. You can imagine how startled I was! I took a client to the restaurant
for lunch yesterday. They prepared my meal gf, but then someone stuck a roll
on my plate (you know that's not uncommon). The owner personally delivered the
replacement dish. I'm going to send her a thank you note today. I don't think
a thank you note is an appropriate place for a sales pitch either. A letter to
the editor of a local paper might be good.

Mara in MA