Date:
Sat, 20 Dec 2003 10:21:51 EST

When I sent my recipe for French Bread to Carolyn, I forgot the salt.   Here
it is complete.  If you try it, I'd love to hear how it turns out,  especially
any changes that work for you.

Lois in Boston

3 cups Flour  *see below
1 t salt
1T Zantham
1 T or less sugar
1 T cider vinegar
approx 1.6 to 1.8 cups water
1 T yeast

The key to this recipe is that it uses NO MILK, EGGS, OR OIL, like real
french bread.

Flour mixture from Dana Korn's book (for 5 cups)
  2-1/2 cups rice flour
  1 cup tapioca Flour
  1 cup potato starch
  1/4 cup bean flour
  1/4 cup cornstarch
(can switch the cornstarch and the potato starch, or even replace the potato
starch completely with cornstarch).

Mix the sugar with a cup of water of water. Then I add it along the rest of
the water and the vinegar to the  flour, xantham, and salt  mixture.  Up to a
point, the more water, the larger the holes will be.  Shape
bread into three small or two larger bagettes in french baguette pans with
holes,  make a number of diagonal slits, and let rise about 70 minutes.

Pre-heat oven to 425 and put a pan in the bottom of the oven.  For crusty
bread, just before putting the bread in the oven, add a layer of very hot or just
simmering water to the pan ( this has to be done with great care to avoid
splattering on the glass on the oven door, which could crack).  Also use a
sprayer to spray the sides of the oven as soon as you put the bread in the oven.