From:
"Mary R." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Aug 1998 14:59:05 -0400

I'm sending this off after reading Gary Johnson's thoughtful note.  On that
note, let's live well and eat as well as we can!

And to further that end, I'm sending more info on the Raymond-Hadley Corp.
about which I had posted a note for Ithaca NY area readers a couple of
weeks ago.  I started receiving requests for info from listees around the
country which I squelched with a note saying I didn't believe they would
ship elsewhere.   I was wrong.  I e-mailed the company recently and just
got back the reply posted below.

Check out the product line at their website: http://www.raymondhadley.com/.
Their price list isn't included (they will provide it on request- you'll
find the email address at the website), but the prices are very good- like
$.345/lb for white rice flour in a bag of 25 lbs.  However, please consider
that shipping of such goods will increase the cost to you considerably.

A neat thing about this company is that it specializes in South American
and other exotic cuisine, with about 100 items of Peruvian foods, including
such delicacies as purple corn pudding.   I can't say much about the gf
status beyond the answer to my question below.   However, there is a heavy
emphasis on corn based products in this cuisine- Mary Elliot tells me there
are 30 varieties of corn in Peru- and I would suspect  cross contamination
would not be much of a problem.

Note, many of the product names are in spanish.   Here is a sampling
translated thanks to Mary Elliot:

>"maiz morado" or purple corn, from which you make "mazamorra morada,"
>> >a fruit and corn pudding (GF) or "chicha morada," a very refreshing
>> >dirnk from purple corn and fruit (also GF).
>> >
>> >- pupusas are made from corn. They are a sort of thin tamale, or very
>> >thick tortillas, however you want to look at them. Also GF
>> >
>> >- mote is hominy, very big in Peruvian cuisine.
>> >
>> >- habas means beans, usually broad beans.
>> >
>> >- arveja means split peas, usually yellow.
>> >
>> >- camote is sweet potato
>> >
>> >- horchata is a drink. can be made with Chufas, a sort of hops, as is
>> >customary in Spain, or rice, or almonds, or other ingredients.
>> >
>> >- aji means chile. Peruvian cuisine uses lots of chiles, including the
>> >rocoto rojo, which is pretty damn hot, but very flavorful.
>> >
>> >- achiote is annatto.
>> >
>> >- semola is semolina (wheat).
>> >
>> >- tallarines is the genric Peruvian term for macaroni. A corruption of
>> >the Italian tagliarine.
>> >
>> >- causa, carapulcra, ocopa are all Peruvian dishes, made with the
>> >famous Peruvian dried potatoes. Are they selling mixes for these?
>> >
>> >- huancalna. I think that this is a misspelling of "huancaina." Papas
>> >a la huancaina are wonderful!

So, let the buyer beware, and may the adventurous among you have fun
checking out this company!

Mary R.