Date:
Mon, 13 Nov 2000 19:01:02 -0500

I asked if it is possible to cook gf pasta in the microwave....thought this
would make an upcoming trip easier.  Four people said yes; two said no.  One
person responded that they didn't think it would work, and suggested
pre-cooking the pasta, then freezing in zip lock bags, and using micro to
re-heat.  One of the people who wrote that you can do it, then stated that
they have never actually done it themselves (!)

Since I posted the question, I found in a kitchen store a gadget that is
made for microwaving pasta and veggies.  It looks like a tupperware bowl
with lid, with a plastic steamer basket inside. I have not started
experimenting yet.

For anyone who wants to try it out, here are instructions people gave me:

version one:   Exactly how will depend on your machine, so you will need to
experiment.

Try putting some pasta (I add a little oil) into enough water to cover
plus extra. You don't need to do a lot at a time, you can make a "single
serving" if you want. For starters, you could maybe have the water level
twice the height of the pasta level. Put it on high for a couple of
minutes, stir, put back and run on high for another couple of minutes. Do
this a few times until it seems done.

You can experiment to see how many minutes and how many times. With wheat
pasta, it takes about 4 four-minute intervals in my little 500 watt
microwave. Non-wheat needs shorter intervals, hard to say how many.

I also put pasta of any type into soups, and follow the same procedure.
You have to experiment to see how much extra water you want to add and
how much pasta you can put into the soup and still get it cooked through
properly.

version two:   Pasta is the same - bring to a boil (10) 7 minutes and low
(4) 7 to 10 minutes depending upon what the package states and drain.

version three:   I have cooked the lentil bean pasta in the microwave, the
kind like risoto.

It needs lots of water and I recommend not doing it unless you absolutely
must. It is messy.

version four (hypothetical):  Sure, just like you cook "regular" pasta
in a microwave:  Basically, it's no different than stovetop, you just
put a large microwave safe bowl in the microwave, 1/2 + full of water,
and bring that to a boil.  Now add your GF pasta, and cook several
minutes longer, till done.

No, I have never actually made my pasta this way, but have made the little
noodle packets like this.  Don't see why it wouldn't work, just start with a
small test batch.