From:
"J. Rackley" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Oct 1996 00:34:43 -0700

A couple of people have mentioned tofu, and also adding calcium
to your diets.

You might try adding tofu which has been fermented with
a calcium agent (read the label, some have been fermented
with magnesium I think) to various foods.  I think there is a
book called "The Book of Tofu" which has recipes in it.  You
can add a few ounces of silken or soft tofu to fruit (strawberries)
calcium-fortified soy milk or tofu drink in a blender.  You can make
nutritious calcium-fortified milkshakes.  (Add sweetener to taste.)

I like Better-than-Milk as a milk substitute.  It is expensive, but one
eight ounce glass contains 35% of the RDA of calcium.  It contains
maltodextrin, but the mfr specifies on the label that it is from rice
(for the low-fat version) and corn (for the regular version).  You can also
get soy milk that is fortified with calcium and Vitamins A and D.  That
is much more nutritious on cereal and as milk than Mocha Mix creamer.

You might also try adding frozen spinach to various foods.  It can be mixed
with hamburger patties before they are fried, and added to tomato sauces,
etc.  You can't get away with that with broccoli, but you can add spinach to
cookies and bread even.  You'd be amazed at what you can do if you
experiment.

Good luck,
Jenny Rackley