From:
Jim Ricketts <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Feb 97 15:37:46 EST

Seems to me that
1. diarrhoea some hours after eating is *not* by itsellf strongly
indicative of coeliac, especially in a person who has never been gf.
2. An immediate improvement after going gluten free is not expected
either.  This is because coeliac involves a damaged gut, which takes
weeks to months to heal.
3. "Gluten reactions" in *recovered* coeliacs do seems to be rapid
onset, but this is not true of most of us in the period before we
*first* go gf.

>>Is it possible to have absolutely no reaction to the consumption of
>>gluten, while you react pretty strongly to other foods which are
>>gluten-free due to the problems that gluten causes?

As far as I know. No.  It is true that we can have *different*
reactions, e.g. lactose intolerance causing bloating etc. as it would in
any other lactose intolerant person, but in general we also have a
reaction to gluten.  In some recovered coeliacs the gluten reaction is
weak.  But then you would not expect a *strong* lactose intolerance
unless the person had inherited it independently of the coeliac.

>>(I know that in many
>>cases the ability to digest lactose and fat is compromised.)
>>Shouldn't I react to the gluten itself since celiac is supposedly
>>an intolerance?

Yes, though this is not necessarily true of all recovered coeliacs.
However the couple of weeks you describe is not adequate to recover.

>>Secondly, is there an official medical name for having a
>>problem dealing with fat?  I just want to be armed with as much
>>information as possible before my GI appointment.  Thanks in advance >for
>>any info you guys can give me. :)

I dunno.  The symptom if having excess fat in the faeces is called
"steatorhoea".  The conditions which lead to it include the group of
"sprue", of which coeliac is sometimes known as "non-tropical sprue".
I would at least try to eliminate a number of infections, the commonest
of which would be Giardiasis, which can certainly cause diarrhoea.  Yes,
I've had it too - 10 years before the coeliac crisis - and in my case I
was highly fat sensitive.

If anyone else can add to this or disagrees, they ought to do so.

Jim Ricketts - Australia