From:
Vic Samuel <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Vic Samuel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Feb 2004 15:49:14 -0500

Folks,

Thanks to all of you who responded. Several recommended other recipes of
gluten free cook books or Chebe Bread. I specifically wanted to use the
Gluten-Free Pantry Country French Bread Mix, but I thank you all for your
thoughtfulness.

There is a recipe on the bag for the bread or pizza but the recommended
recipe for the pizza is located on the web site  www.glutenfree.com/   under
the recipe section. Several folks sent that to me.

My husband made it in a cookie sheet and it was good. It rose quite a bit
and I might have preferred it a bit more if we didnąt let it rise that much
or used a larger cookie sheet. ( I would still prefer his homemade recipe if
I wasnąt a celiac but thatąs not going to happen).  Below is the recipe he
used. He used water instead of milk. He let it rise for 40 minutes in the
pan, but I think it rose more after he put the toppings on and did not bake
it right away. It still was delicious but the crust was very much like
bread. I froze a lot of leftovers and will enjoy it for many more meals.
Again, thanks to all of you!

Our Best Pizza
3 cups French Bread/Pizza Mix
4 teaspoons gluten-free yeast
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/3 cups warm milk or water (110-115 degrees)
1/2 teaspoon cider vinegar or 1/4 teaspoon ascorbic acid
1 egg
2 tablespoons olive oil

Combine dry ingredients.  Beat vinegar, egg and olive oil into warm milk.
Beat into dry ingredients.  Beat to combine.  Knead 1-2 minutes.  (If
mixture is sticky, dust hands with potato starch or coat with olive oil.)
Cover and let rise 40 minutes.  Preheat oven to 425.  Spread pizza over 2,
12-inch pizza pans or 1 cookie sheet, by covering dough with oiled plastic
wrap then rolling or pressing dough to edges of pan.  Crust should be about
1/4 inch thick.  Cover with favorite toppings.  Bake 12-15 min. in the
lowest part of  oven or until top is bubbly and bottom of crust is golden.
Dough may also be formed into personal pizzas by rolling small balls, then
flattening them into circles.  Wrap each pizza crust in plastic wrap and
freeze for future use.  Thaw 10 minutes, cover with favorite toppings, and
bake as above.

Lynn in snowy, cold, Omaha