Date:
Fri, 13 Jan 2012 08:36:58 -0500

I just tried making these Vietnamese dumplings, using GF tamari for the
soy sauce - they are delicious. I followed the recipe without deviating
from it much. The dough is wonderful to work with (I scrupulously
weighed the tapioca and rice flours, used the very finely ground Asian
rice flour, and used a crumbled home-dried red cayenne pepper for the
hots.)  The beans called for are also called moong dal and they about
double in volume after the soaking.

So much fun to make, very inexpensive, and vegetarian too!  The dough
sticks together nicely to encase the filling (sort of like a weak
version of silly putty) and since the dumplings are steamed there is no
chance of bursting dumplings with filling escaping in to the cooking water.

The two sauces are essential - the soy/hot/sweet one and the scallion
oil.  Both are very simple to make and together with the fried shallots
in the dumpling they make a nicely balanced flavor combo.  The texture
of the cooked dumpling wrapper is chewy in a wonderful way, - we in the
GF world are already familiar with that chewiness.

Anyway, for anyone who is craving an Asian dumpling, this is a fun one.

http://www.asiandumplingtips.com/2009/08/slanted-door-hue-rice-dumplings-recipe-banh-xep-chay/comments/page/2/

Alice
http://www.gfzing.com