From:
Rita Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Rita Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 May 2005 19:42:44 -0500

Thank you to everyone for your responses.  Listed below are the yellow cake mixes that were recommended and recipes.  I ordered the Cause Your Special cake mix and finally had a chance to make this for Mother's Day.  My husband and daughter who do not eat gluten free absolutely loved it and could not tell the difference from when I used to make it with a regular wheat yellow cake mix.

Cause Your Special had the most with 9 responses.  It can be ordered from www.causeyourspecial.com.  I did order this and used this cake mix for my Twinkie cake.  It turned out wonderful.  Although, shipping charges are just about as much as the cost as 2 pkgs of cake mixes.

Dowd & Rogers - 4  www.dowdandrogers.com

Really Great Food Company cake mix - 3  www.reallygreatfoodcompany.com

Kinninnick white cake mix - 2

Happy Day Cake mix made by Mona - 1

Suggestion to use Bette Hagman's and/or Carol Fenster's recipe books - 1

Bette Hagman's GF Gourmet Bakes Bread Twinkie recipe - 1

Bette Hagman's Yellow cake recipe with frosting - 1

Miss Roben's white cake mix - 1

Gluten Free Pantry Old Fashioned Cake and Cookie Mix - 1

Glutino - 1

Allrecipes.com - 2  (Has all kinds of recipes with conversions)

www.glutenfreemixes.com - 1

Twinkie Cake Recipe

1 yellow cake mix (I used 2 cake mixes to make a 15X10 pan).  Mix and bake according to directions.  Remove from oven and cool.  Split cake horizontally with cake cutter or use a piece of thread wrapped around your fingers and pulled down the middle of the cake horizontally.  Remove top half of cake and and spread filling on bottom half of cake.  Replace top half of cake and sprinkle with powdered sugar.  (Can also use a chocolate cake mix and call it a Susy Q Cake)

Filling:

1 cup milk
5 tablespoons flour  ( I substituted 2-3 tablespoons cornstarch, 5 tablespoons cornstarch made it too thick)

Shake mile and cornstarch together, pour into a pan and heat, stirring constantly until thick.  Remove from heat and cool.

1/2 cup butter flavored Crisco
1/2 cup soft butter
1 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla

Beat until fluffy and add cooled milk mixture.  Mix together until really fluffy (this will take a while).

Cut into Twinkie sized rectangles.  They are good eaten immediately or wrap tightly in plastic.  They freeze well.  Great with fresh strawberries!!!

Strawberry Twinkie Torte
I Twinkie cake (recipe above)
1 1/2 - 2 cups strawberry jam (enough to cover top of cake)
Fresh Sliced strawberries
1 package semi-sweet chocolate bits

Prepare Twinkie cake.  Place on cake platter or you can leave it in the pan.  Heat strawberry jam until syrupy (about 45 seconds in microwave).   Spread on top of cake.  Slice fresh strawberries on top of jam.  Melt chocolate (microwave or double boiler).  Slowly drizzle over sliced strawberries.  Sprinkle with shaved almonds if desired.  Serve immediately.  Chocolate will harden when placed in refrigerator.  If you plan to serve later refrigerate cake and drizzle chocolate prior to serving.
This is a similar Twinkie Cake recipe that I received:

Twinkie Cake
1 yellow or white GF cake mix (I personally made the Bette Hagman's Lemon Torte cake from More from the GF gourmet).    Mix in 1 small package GF vanilla instant pudding, 1/2 cup oil, 3 eggs, 3/4 cup water, 2 teaspoons GF vanilla.  Mix well and pour into greased 13X9 inch pan.  Bake at 325 until a tooth pick comes out pretty much clean (try not to overbake) 35-40 minutes.

Filling was the same recipe as above.

Also received a recipe for Hot Fudge Cake: (sender's note:  I have had people tell me this is the best they have EVER had!!! Easy to make, too!)

HOT FUDGE CAKE
1 Cup GF flour
3/4 cup sugar
6 Tablespoon baking Cocoa powder divided
2 Tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup Milk
2 Tablespoons Oil
1 teaspoon GF vanilla
1 3/4 cup hot water
1 Cup packed brown sugar

In medium bowl, combine flour, sugar, 2 teaspoons cocoa, baking powder and salt.  Stir in milk, oil, and vanilla until smooth.  Spread in an ungreased 9X9 square baking pan.  Combine brown sugar and remaining cocoa.  Sprinkle over batter.  Pour hot water over all.  DO NOT STIR!  Bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes.  Great slightly warm, topped with cool whip or ice cream.

Also got a recipe for:

LAZY PEACH PIE
Melt 1/2 cup margarine/butter in 9X13 pan.  Mix together 1 C GF flour mix, 1 Cup sugar, 2 teaspoons baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 3/4 cup milk.  Pour batter over melted margarine/butter. Pour 1 1/2 quart/large can peaches juice and all over the batter.  Bake 350 degrees for 1 hour or until done.