From:
Lynn Robbins <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 4 Apr 2003 12:08:12 -0500

When my children were first diagnosed, we were concerned with not wanting
them to feel "different" or left out of things.  In the beginning, I baked
cupcakes for them for each birthday party they attended...of course, they
just licked off the icing and brought the darned cupcake home
again......then I finally learned to bake big batches and freeze, so I
always had a cupcake on hand (LOL).  But for school parties I didn't always
know when another mom was bringing in treats.  I learned to keep a "treat
box" in the classroom with various non-perishable gf treats.  It was through
this treat box that I learned "different" can be "better"....my daughter
explained to me that many kids are jealous that she gets to have candy
rather than a cupcke at school parties.  Most kids don't really like the
cake part and just eat the icing; so the kids look at her reese's cup or
peppermint patty with envy.  A similar reaction occurred when my other
daughter went to summer camp and took most of her food with her last year -
her food from home was so much more appetizing than camp grub that she was
the object of good-natured envy.

So tonight my daughter goes off to a birthday party....and rather than just
send a cupcake she won't eat, she gets to take a chcocolate truffle brownie
made from the gluten-free pantry mix (if you haven't tried this fabulous
treat, you must!!  these brownies are delicious!)....i guarantee the other
kids will wish they had one :-).  Maybe someday I'll be really indulgent and
just send them a little tupperware container of icing and a spoon!  (we had
a birthday at disney world once where the kitchen sent out a huge plate
covered with whipped cream and sprinkled with m&m's for my daughter....she
thought it was the greatest).

just a little "food for thought".  Lynn