From:
Sheryl Tingley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Nov 1998 17:24:00 PST

Thank you Debbie

 Rice Bread Stuffing

1 large onion, minced
1 cup diced celery
6 Tbps (3/4 stick) butter or margarine
1 to 1 1/2 tsp poultry seasoning
2 Tbsp minced parsley
6-8 cups GF bread, crumbled (or cubed)
1 to 1 1/2 cups chicken broth (I use my own homemade chicken
broth)
salt to taste

Saute' the onion and celery in butter until clear; add the poultry
seasoning and parsley.  pour this mixture over the bread in a large
mixing bowl.  Stir until blended, then add the broth, a little at a
time, until the dressing is as moist as you prefer.  Add salt to
taste.  Makes enough to stuff a 10-12 pound turkey.

(My Betty Crocker recipe book calls for the following ingredients
for a stuffing.  It's a little different than the above seasoning,
so it might be worth a try too:)

         [This recipe has been removed from the logfiles, as]
         [it is copyrighted material---the CELIAC Listowners]

I think the chicken broth used in the first recipe helps with the
flavor a lot.  Bette Hagman also says you can make SEASONED bread
ahead of time and use that.  She says to try putting the 1 to 1 1/2
tsp poultry seasoning directly into the bread dough for at least one
loaf before you bake it.  Try adding some dried minced parsley,
also.  She says that this seasoned bread will make excellent
stuffing and win you raves.  It works best with the True Yeast Bread
recipe using white rice flour.  I think I may try making the
seasoned bread this year.

Now, for the pie crust question.  I use the pie crust recipe from
Bette Hagman's book and it is superb!  I feed it to company all the
time and they don't know the difference.  We love to tell our
company afterwards that it was gluten-free and they are always
amazed and ask how we made it.  Once I started making this
particular crust, I came to PREFER it over normal wheat crusts
because you can PRESS it into the pie pan and form the edges.  You
don't have to roll it out if you're just making a bottom crust.
That's what I love about it.  It can't be overhandled and won't ever
shrink on you like a wheat crust does.  I really like this
recipe--it tastes great, is flaky, & it's easy to work with.  We
love pumpkin pie, so that's what I usually make.  It's gluten-free
and tastes great.  I even made a strawberry pie this summer with a
top on it.  The top was a little trickier because I did need to roll
out the dough.  But it can be done and works best if you roll it out
between 2 pieces of wax paper.  After peeling off one of the wax
papers very carefully, you take the crust and carefully flip it over
onto the top of the pie.  Then you VERY CAREFULLY peel off the other
wax paper piece.  It worked for me and turned out very lovely.  I
was even able to poke a pretty design into the top.  If this is your
first time at it, you might want to just stick with a one-crust pie
to make it easier on yourself (such as pumpkin pie).  You can just
press in the dough and shape the edges.  When I make the pumpkin
pie, I buy the can of just plain pumpkin that makes 2 pies and I
follow the recipe on the can for the spices, milk, etc.  for the
pies.  Here is the recipe for the crust (p.  90):

                Tender Vinegar Pastry

         [This recipe has been removed from the logfiles, as]
         [it is copyrighted material---the CELIAC Listowners]

Also, a trick a learned a long time ago from my mother when making
pies -- always place aluminum around the edges of the pie crust to
keep them from getting overcooked and brown while in the oven.  If
you like the edge of the crust a bit browned, you can always remove
the foil a little before the end of the cooking time to give them
time to turn a more golden color.  This seems to hold true for both
wheat and gluten-free type crusts.

        "Friendship is a sheltering tree"  ;)