From:
Carol Lydick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Oct 1997 17:16:14 EDT

This is a long time in coming, but I have received many responses on the
problem of Celiacs taking Communion.  Here's the results.

Some people have been able to work with the Church. They
include a small packaged piece of GF host that is distributed at the time of
Communion, with the bread served the rest of the congregation.  It was a
prearranged situation.  Some provided a storehouse of GF crackers or
bread and replenished it when the supply runs low.

Some people just bring their own bread and quietly slip it in their hand
prior to being served.

Some take only the wine and not the bread.

Some bake GF bread and serve it to the whole congregation.

The most difficult of responses came from the Roman Catholic population.
All but one stated that the Catholic Church forbids anything but wheat
to be served for Communion, and that various parishes had a negative
response to people who wanted to substitute GF food.  Some of these
people broke their GF diets to comply with the strict regulations.
My heart goes out to those in that predicament.  May God Bless them.

All in all there seems to be a lot of people who were uncomfortable and
felt more work had to be done in many Churches to help others understand
the needs of the CD person.  This might be a good place to begin public
education in our neighborhoods.

If I could ever bake a decent loaf of bread, I would do what
some of the people do and share the GF bread with the whole congregation
occasionally.  What an excellent chance to bring awareness to others.

Our Church just asked others to spread information by writing articles
for the monthly publication.  I believe I will submit an article on CD
and take the opportunity to explain the special need of the celiac.
Perhaps I might find I am not the only one in the congregation.

Thanks everyone for your warm responses.

Carol NJ