Date:
Mon, 16 Apr 2001 21:38:14 -0400

I've gotten a lot of responses already to my post about the "Simple Gene
Test" as well as many requests to post the replies.  Here's what came in
today.

Kathy

The gene test tells you if you have a known genetic propensity to have CD.
If you are symptomatic, and have equivocal blood work or biopsies (which
can happen for any number of reasons) and respond to a GF diet, the gene
test can fill in one more piece of the puzzle.

Bobbie

Endoscopy and blood test are far from a sure way, Kathy. They return
from 20 to 50 percent false negative readings. They are only meaningful
if they come back positive, and that's still suspect. -vance

You need to visit Dr. Fine's site.  His testing is remarkably accurate
and reliable: www.enterolab.com

Kathy,

I just hung up the phone with Dr. Kenneth Fine, the founder of Enterolab
who does the tests you saw on his website.

His tests are what just diagnosed my 5 year old son.  We have been going
through a lot of testing, and dealing with alot of uninformed doctors,
and Dr. Fine and his tests are finally what helped us.

My son has had a distended stomach since birth.  I always questioned the
doctors, but they attributed it to "toddler tummy".  Last July, we
finally took him to a different doctor, who referred us to a
gatroenterologist.  Well, after an abdominal CT scan, endoscopy with
biopsy (borderline, showed some blunting of villi - but Doctor did not
think it was celiac), upper GI w/small bowel follow through, barium
enema, celiac blood tests (negative), we finally ordered Dr. Fine's
tests (including the gene test and cow's milk test).  We got the results
on Friday, and I followed that up with a phone consultation today
(extremely helpful).  His gluten sensitivity stool test showed that his
antigliadin IgA numbers were sky-high, which definately indicated celiac
disease.  Also, he has cow's milk sensitivity and yeast sensitivity.

Myself, my daughter, and other members of my family are headed for the
same tests.  They were very easy to do, and Dr. Fine will supply you
with the information to submit to insurance following the testing.

If you have any other questions about the tests, please feel free to e-mail me.

Sheri

Hello, I believe it's relatively new, and here in Canada our medical
system is almost completely oblivious to it yet.

Our medical system has some of the oldest viewpoints on the subject I
have come across.

Very disappointing.