From:
Valerie Thayer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Valerie Thayer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 May 2004 03:50:11 +0000

Does Calcium Caseinate or Sodium Caseinate contain gluten?  At Celiac.com it
is listed as a forbidden food however I was on the phone with Atkins
Nutritionals, Inc and they told me the Morning Start Breakfast Bars (Creamy
Cinnamon Bun, Creamy Strawberry Crisp, Chocolate Chip Crisp and Double
Chocolate Muffin) were GF.  However, the Apple Crisp and Blueberry Muffin
flavors were not GF.  Since the ingredients were very similiar across the
different flavors I asked her which ingredient contains gluten in the Apple
Crisp and Blueberry Muffin flavors.  She did not know.  Calcium Caseinate
and Sodium Caseinate are listed in the ingredients in the GF flavors she
mentioned.  These two ingredients are the only ingredients that I am
concerned about.  I'm not sure that they are providing correct information
if calcium caseinate and sodium caseinate do in fact contain gluten.  I have
read that sodium caseinate does contain MSG which I know is a problem for
some celiacs.

Thanks for your help!
Valerie

Getting married? Find tips, tools and the latest trends at MSN Life Events.
http://lifeevents.msn.com/category.aspx?cid=married