From:
Ayn Gilliland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Jul 1999 18:47:16 -0500

Hi All--

Finally, my summary to the question whether or not cookware and
plasticware retains gluten from non-gf foods. Most everyone concluded
that thorough washings should eliminate any problems. Three people
mentioned that cookie sheets and other metal bakeware can retain oils
and residues of gluten-containing foods as they become baked on, so they
take special caution with those items. One person said they tossed
everything except the dishes and pots and pans when they went gf -
bakeware and plasticware, measuring cups and spoons and flour sifter.
One person suggested using the new Gladware disposable containers in
place of plasticware.

Guess the bottom line is that each of us needs to be careful, but not to
the point of paranoia. I have noticed that bakeware does seem to catch
and hold cooking oils and foods more than other utensils, so I will
probably replace those items. Thanks to everyone who responded - and for
your patience to hear the results of the survey - which everyone has
probably forgotten about since I've been so slow to post. (I'm like a
turtle stuck in molasses in this heat! - Live in Kansas!)

Ayn.